Monday, April 20, 2009

thanks to calendars

So....

It's Monday.

It is 10 til 9pm and I am still "working."

Well... technically, writing a post for my blog isn't working, it's just a nicely placed procrastination activity until I decide to work again. :)

Anyway, the rest of this week is going to be crazy busy. I realized that today in looking at my calendar. I recently discovered that I have learned to cope with life by writing everything down. We all know that my memory is worthless. I'm not even joking, it really is. I am one of those people who cannot remember anything to save my life. It's not purposeful. Really, it's not. To the contrary, I have to work really hard if I want to remember anything at all. I recently joked with a friend that just perhaps, my memory will only get better as I get older and I'll be one of those phenomenons that demonstrates the "reverse of Alzheimer's."

She was skeptical.

So, as I sit in my office, off to my right is a giant calendar that hangs on a bulletin board. If someone decided to burn this, I would be in trouble. On it is housed my "business" life. All of my client appointments, photo shoots, weddings, etc. is recorded on this calendar.

Well, the criminal would also have to burn my computer because I have a copy of my 2009 schedule saved somewhere on this machine.

Anyway, at the beginning of every week and often before even that, I take a good look at what the week is bringing me and make any necessary phone calls or e-mails to get or give directions or remind customers or my business partner of upcoming meetings.

Next, I look to my left. On my desk sits my "Procrastinator's Day Calendar" that has my personal life scribbled onto it.

Between these 2 calendars, I live day by day, letting my calendars tell me what is going to happen. It's a very freeing process. Letting the inanimate objects do all the work like that. So my brain doesn't have to.

Starting tomorrow, I have a 4-day training session for a part-time job that I recently acquired. I'm excited about the potential financial supplement this job offers, as well as doors that could open to schedulize my life even just a bit more and encourage responsibility, personal collaboration, and enlightenment in my life.

I'll fill you in on more details of that as it continues to unfold in my life, but anyway, that will take up most of my next 4 days. The remainder of those days will be used to sustain my Imagine Artists projects and maybe even fit in a social life.

Oh yeah, my mom leaves for Arizona tomorrow and she informed me that I have been elected as the cook while she is gone. So somewhere in there I will be going grocery shopping and formulating some sort of a supper menu. Leftover Monical's pizza is on the menu for tomorrow evening. My dad isn't too picky.

I must also have a veggie pizza made and a bag of chips & dip in tow by Friday evening, as I have successfully double booked myself for 2 events that night and I will somehow simultaneously attend both.

Then to top it all off, on Saturday and Sunday Imagine Artists is shooting a wedding. So I'm thinking the next available moment to breathe will be next Monday at this time.

See you then.

T

(Love you all.)

3 comments:

Jill Foley said...

You made me laugh with this one!

Kristi said...

I hear ya on the schedule... my life this week looks like your life... see you at the end I guess!

Caitlin Long said...

so...you should be on the wedding right now. hope your week wasn't too crazy! i am one of those people who doesn't write anything down, or writes it down and then never looks at it, and remembers about 70-90% based on the day. i don't know what you would call this strategy, but it probably means i need to be more organized :]