So I was cleaning in my basement tonight and I was just finishing with the sweeping. I look over to make sure the carpet looks immaculate and what do I see? A ginormous spider sitting in the center of the room. You probably would have laughed if you had seen my reaction. I made a face and backed away, grabbing the sweeper and running the opposite direction. Thank goodness there are 2 ways to get upstairs from our basement.
I delivered the sweeper to the front hallway, and ran around to the other basement entrance where I found my dad heading downstairs.
"Dad!" I exclaim.
"Is that a spider?" I ask icredulously, pointing wildly at the black creature that is still motionless in the middle of the room.
My dad walks up to the massive insect, inspects it a little closer, and says, "Yeah," as he stomps on it with his shoe.
"Argh! Dad, HOW do you do that?" I ask, running up the stairs and cringing inside, still feeling queazy.
Then, I thought about my dad's reaction, and I started laughing. He is so funny some days.
Anyway, I don't know WHAT it is about spiders, but I DON'T like them. I just can't deal with them. Seriously. I don't know if it's their little crawly legs, or their evil connotation, or their quick movements, but when there's a spider, there's a scream (from me). They freak me out.
So, I was inpsired to write a "What Scares Me" list.
2. Chocolate shortage (not likely, but what if there really was?)
3. Really HOT stuff (I used to be scared to get things out of the oven. That fear has subsided and I can now successfully take brownies and cookies out of hte oven without cringing, but I'm still careful. Also- if you are extremely good-looking, take note of this #3 fear :-) Only kidding...
4. Haunted houses (ok, so I've never been in a REAL one, but I'm pretty sure they'd scare me)
5. Speed (and the lack of control that comes with speed. I don't like going really fast on anything- cars, amusement park rides, whatever. I know it is invigorating to some, but it just plain scares me, especially when I have NO control.)
6. High places (although I can ride the ferris wheel. But get me up really high and tell me to look down, and I doubt I'll be too thrilled about it. Hey Heather- remember when we tried to climb that mountain in AZ? I felt like if I went up any higher, I would fall down the mountain and die.)
7. Hell (thankfully, it doesn't scare me personally anymore, but it did enough at one time to make note of it as a major fear. If it is a fear in your heart- there is a way to change that! Repent and take advantage of the shed blood of Christ!)
8. Rejection (Who doesn't want to be accepted and embraced? A big fear to overcome is insecurity itself. Once we have our security where it should be- Christ- this fear should vanish. I had to make note of it, though, because I know it's one we probably all struggle with.)
9. Bees (When I was little, I got stung direclty under my eye. Ever since, bees scare me... I will usually make a point to escape the area they are around.)
10. Evil (Essentially, our corrupt world. I look around and I am, quite frankly, disgusted with the world and it's ways. I suppose my fear doesn't lie in evil itself, but in what will come of evil people and their lives. It's a scary thought. What am I doing to shine a different lifestyle and counteract those wicked ways?)
What scares you?
Psalm 34:4-I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.
I love you all!