Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Don't Worry!

I have been slightly stressed out lately, and that is uncharacteristic of myself.

I don't know if "stressed out" is the correct term. I'm not pulling my hair out or running around like a mad woman, but I feel like I have been on edge lately. Maybe a better phrase would be "a lot of stacked up unecessary worrying."

Matthew 6:27
Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

That verse really causes a light bulb to go off over my head. It brings to life how pointless worrying really is. Worrying about something isn't going to change it. And surprisingly enough, by worrying, my life won't get longer, either. It'll only get shorter with a history of wasted time.

Worry is a disease, I tell you. Even when you tell yourself not to... a lot of times, you still do. Recently, I have been really thinking about what it takes to completely surrender my all to Christ. It is kind of like one of those pass-fail tests. You either get a 0 or a 100%. The same with your surrender to Christ- you're either giving Him it all or you're giving Him nothing. You can give Him 99% but that 1% that you insist upon controlling will ruin it all.

I was just talking to Heather last night about this. What does it require to give your ALL to Him? For the longest time, I thought that by being a "good Christian," (i.e. reading, praying, going to church), I was doing enough. Yet, to completely surrender your life to Christ is more than actions. It's a choice. It's a lifestyle. It's an attitude... and all 3 of those things turn into actions that reflect your life as a surrendered Christian.

It's different for everyone, I think, but for me it means saying, "Lord, it's yours! All of it!" It's a statement and a prayer. And do you know what that does? It eliminates my worrying. If I have given it to God, the Perfect One, then logically speaking, there is no reason to worry.

Now, does that mean that I still won't worry? Not at all. It's not necessary to, but that doesn't mean I won't because I am human. That is when this verse comes in handy...

1 Peter 5:7- Casting all your care upon Him, for he careth for you.

What comfort. Jesus wants to hear all about it, and when we decide to share with the Almighty, it's amazing how much better we come out feeling!

Oh my, the Lion King Hakuna Matata song is going through my head right now, "It means no worries, for the rest of your days...It's our problem-free...philosophy, Hakuna Matata...."

Look what I've done.

Too bad my post for today can't end with an audio clip of that song playing... although, I think the written out words is enough to get that song stuck in anybody's head. Good luck getting rid of that one... :-)

Luke was nice enough to provide this Hukana Matata clip for me to go along with the theme of my post. Just click on that link below for a phrase to keep in mind whenever you feel the urge to worry...Enjoy.

Listen to me!>


Powered
by Castpost

Love you all,
T

3 comments:

sarah said...

It's so true- why do we worry when we know we really don't have control over things anyway. It's such a good feeling when we give things completely over to God. Godd to see you tonight in Morton.

Luke said...

Great reminder! Is worry a lack of faith?

taryn said...

Sarah- Good seeing you, too! Thanks for the comment!

Luke- If I worry about something, it means I am doubting the control and the outcome. If I am doubting God's control and His ultimate outcome... I don't know about you, but I'd call that a "lack of faith." :-)

Thanks for the challenging question. I love those.