Monday, February 16, 2009

i hope.

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.*

What do you hope for? I have a vivid imagination, so often my hopes are just a daydream away... but at the end of the miniature soap opera or music video that I have played in my mind, what do I have?

Nothing. I can't see it in tangible life. I cannot suddenly hand out copies of my hope and often I can't even fully articulate it in words. Oh, how I wish I could.

Really, though. Where is our hope? In Christ's Redeeming Love. In His Son, who died for not just one of our sins, but for all of them. And He did not die for just one of us, but for all of us. To have faith is to be sure of that.

As for what we cannot see: one day, we will. Do you ever just "feel" God and "know" His character and His goodness and His mercy? That is being certain of what we cannot see.

I had a childhood dream that I saw Jesus during Sunday School and I went running up to Him and gave him a huge hug. Little children were gathered around Him as you see illustrated in children's Bible story books.

I am doing a Bible Study right now that is taking me through Daniel. I love it, but it is a very in-depth study. It's the meat and potatoes of the deal. The other day, I read a passage about Daniel encountering the glory of God by God himself or a heavenly being. It was such a bright vision that Daniel lost all of his strength and could hardly speak or breathe. Can you imagine actually being in the presence of God? At times, I fear that I take that circumstance too lightly. To actually "see" God would completely knock us flat on our stomachs. It would be no small thing. Yet, we have access to this Almighty God through his Holy Spirit! Are we daily talking to Him? Studying His Word? Is He our hope, or is it placed somewhere else in this world?

Being self-employed has given me a lot of perks. One "perk" in particular has also, at times, been my biggest downfall. I have been given free reign of my schedule. Therefore, I choose how my day goes. If I don't "show up for work on time," I won't hear from any boss except myself. A lesson in priorities was long overdue about a month ago. One night, after I had spent all evening wasting time, I thought: How is it that now that I have more time to use, I end up wasting more of it? And for what?

So, I did what I always do. And it works like a charm. One Wednesday evening a long, long time ago, a sermon took place that changed my heart forever. The minister talked about "online" time and how it can so often zap us if we don't watch out. After that evening, I drove home and made a pretty little note card that said "Do Devotions Before Online Time." I taped this onto my laptop. This was during my college days at ISU, so needless to say, I had a few strange looks when people would walk by and see a big old piece of paper taped onto my laptop, but it is what I needed to do. What is most important in my life? Facebook? My blog? My mac?

Anyway, that's a long way of saying that I once again implemented this process in my life. I must start my day with God. And certainly, He must always come before my most prized time-wasting activity. Since I must inevitably be online during working hours because of the nature of my work, devotions always occur before I go to work, which means being up a little bit earlier. Seeing as I am NOT a morning person, this has been a challenge, but I am doing it. :) And it has been such a blessing.

Praying and reading the Word changes you whether you plan on it or not. I once heard it said, "When you don't feel like spending time with God, that is when you need Him the most." You enter the day a better person because of it.

Love you all!

T

*My opening lines were from Hebrews 11:1.

No comments: