Monday, March 01, 2010

To Be "That Guy"

Tonight, as I was standing in line at Dairy Queen (in 35 degrees), I couldn't help but notice a conversation going on right behind me. 

A young couple, probably in high school, had approached.

An adorable girl with a bright orange coat and a black flower in her hair was standing there. Next to her was a nervous, curly-haired boy with his hands in his pockets.

"What are you getting?" she asked him.

"Nothing," he said, "Remember, I told you I have no money with me, like 5 times in the car," he laughed.

"Oh, well then I'll just buy it for you!" the girl resolved.

"No," he replied, "It's okay."

"Yes! Don't be silly, I will buy your ice cream."

"No," he insisted, "I am not going to be 'that guy.'" 

She giggled. "But JOSH," she said, "Then I'm going to be the only one eating ice cream, and I am NOT going to let that happen," she said. 

He laughed nervously.

"What do you normally get when you come here? Like, what is your favorite?"

"I usually get a blizzard," he offered.

"What kind?"

"That's all I'm going to say," he said, with a mischievous smile in his voice.

The girl sauntered over to the menu board and looked at the choices.

"Reeses's," she said, "You seem like a Reese's kind of guy."

He wouldn't give anything away.

"I'm just going to buy something random and make you eat it," she proclaimed.

At this point, I was stifling laughter, and was about ready to turn to the boy and give him my two cents', which would have been, "Hey, listen, if someone offered to buy me Dairy Queen, I'd take them up on it," but right at that moment, the serving window opened and a teenage girl handed me my order in a bag. I smiled over to the young couple and went on my way.

Whether or not this young guy ended up with an ice cream treat or not, I do not know...

but something tells me, the young girl with the bright orange coat got her way.

Young love at it's finest.

Love you all!

T


No comments: