Monday, February 22, 2010

High & Low

The weather section of the newspaper always reports a "high" and a "low" for the day. Presumably, the high is the warmest time of the day when the sun peaks, and the low is the coldest, darkest part of the day.

Using that analogy, here was the "high" and "low" of my weekend...

High
I walked into a Jamba Juice and ordered a delightful treat that I must share. I don't even remember what it was called, but I did memorize the ingredients because after reading it from the board, I concluded that I could make my own at home.

It includes vanilla yogurt, soy milk (I used skim), frozen strawberries, granola, and peanut butter. You top it with granola and sliced bananas.

Basically, anything with peanut butter in it and/or is a smoothie, I love. So this was bound to be a wonderful treat. And it was. Packed with protein and good-for-you items, I would recommend it for breakfast or an afternoon pick-me-up snack. In fact, Jamba Juice listed it as a "Meal."

On Sunday morning, I made one for myself for breakfast. It was so tasty, and so very easy to make! If you have the ingredients at home (or a variation thereof), go ahead and try it... if you've used a blender before, just guesstimate on the amounts according to the consistency you like, and you're golden!

Low
It seems to be a pattern in my life that I injure myself without realizing how badly I have actually injured myself. Thus was the story on Saturday afternoon. I was using my day productively by cleaning out my closet and getting rid of some of my winter clothes. As I was doing so, I was trying to neatly stack the unused hangers against the wall, but eventually they all ended up as a jumbled mess on the floor. I ignored this and kept hopping in and out of my closet, going to and from as needed. At one point, I was walking out of my closet to get something and my toe caught onto one of the hangers that was on the floor. The skin of my toe got caught on the sharp part of the hanger and it felt like it cut it a bit, but I just kept moving. When I'm on a mission, nothing stops me, not even a little cut.

I felt a little pain, but nothing major. Until I looked down about 30 seconds later (after making a few more trips back and forth) and noticing that there was blood dripping out of a giant gash in my toe and it was starting to seep down the edges and collect at the bottom. I ran to the bathroom and sat down, grabbing for a paper towel. In the mean time, blood continued to gush forth onto the floor. You would have thought someone cut my toe off.

I cleaned up the mess and headed downstairs in search of a band-aid and Neosporin. My mom happened to be on the phone in the kitchen, and so I plopped down there to conduct business, but as I took pressure away, my toe continued to bleed all over.

"I need a little help here," must have been my nonverbal expression (ok, so I actually probably voiced those words), and my mom came over with the phone on one shoulder and her former nurse knowledge coming out in her hands, applying pressure to my wound and then eventually wrapping the whole thing up in a bandage.

Seriously.

It's not like I take a lot of risks in my life (physically), so most of my injuries are due to my klutzy and rush-like nature. If I did take risks and live on the edge, I would probably visit the hospital a lot more often. So far, photography has been a pretty safe career, although I do notice that sometimes I run into people when I'm backing up while still taking a picture, or I often find myself lying in the middle of the road to get the perfect shot.

Fortunately, my wound is healing quite nicely, to which I am thankful.

I will be back soon to share about my morning yesterday. Love you all!

T

No comments: